How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35219
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can I insist on knowing which university my 18 yr old

This answer was rated:

Can I insist on knowing which university my 18 yr old daughter will be attending? I agreed during our divorce 10 years ago to pay maintenance for all 3 of my children until they finish full-time education, including university. My ex-wife has since turned the kids against me and they now want nothing to do with me (not seen them in 6-7 years now - aged 14, 16 & 18) but they/she still want my money! My ex-wife has lied systematically over the years and is now refusing to tell me which uni our eldest is going to. I believe that as I have agreed to pay throughout uni I should be given some sort of proof that my daughter is attending, otherwise my ex-wife could claim she is and keep pocketing the money. I currently pay just over 25% of my income in maintenance and am often asked to contribute extra for uniforms etc which I do when I can afford it.
I'd appreciate some advice please.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** shall do my best to help you.

Sadly you have no right to know which University your daughter is attending - but it is reasonable to ask for a copy of a letter from Student Finance confirming that she is actually going.

In addition you can now apply to the CMS to deal with the child maintenance for the younger children which will be 16% of your gross income at most.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you