How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been married for two years. I own a home with no

Customer Question

I have been married for two years. I own a home with no mortgage in my name. My wife put no money into the purchase of the house and hasn't paid for any renovation. My wife wants a divorce. How can I protect my home and stop her claiming against it?
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did you live together prior to your marriage - if so for how long?

Are there any children involved?

Where was your wife living prior to the marriage?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Clare.We rented accommodation together elsewhere for roughly six years.My dad bought a house with his money in my name.We lived together for a year in this house. Got married. She moved out for around 4 months in the second year. She then lived with me for a further year.There are no children involved.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What options would I have to protect it? Move it into a parents name before she starts proceedings?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry house was bought in my name with my money which was ultimately girtwd to me by my dad around 8 years ago