How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask michael holly Your Own Question
michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7042
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
michael holly is online now

My ex and I split in May,we have 2 dogs Mitzy was my

This answer was rated:

My ex and I split in May,we have 2 dogs Mitzy was my birthday present and Denis was his present he came on Sunday to get some stuff from the shed and left taking the dogs I've tried to get Mitzy back he said they are staying with him now I'm heartbroken how can I get her back,he took Denis a few months back but brought him back 2 days later

Dear *****

As a dog owner myself it is hard to think of a dog as a possession but , in law, that is exactly what they are.

From what you say it appears Mitzy was a gift to you and Denis a gift to him.

Mitzy is your possession and your dog I would threaten to report him to the police for theft if he does not either return Mitzy or allow her to be collected.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes


michael holly and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have phoned the police am waiting for them to come and see me or phone me but not feeling hopeful she said it could be a civil matter and I can't take him to court because of cost he's got me this is killing me he knows how much she loves me and me her I'm heartbroken if there is anything else I can try how ever long it takes I will try anything,I only stopped him seeing the dogs because of his drinking he can't look after them when he's drunk can he, thankyou for your time .regards s.jones

Dear *****

The police may try to fob you off with saying it is a civil matter but if they think that by intervening they may prevent trouble , for example, his reaction should you endeavour to physically reclaim your property they might agree to help in any event.

Also you have the option of the RSPCA if he neglects the dogs whilst drunk.


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thankyou that would be worth a try,I have sent him a message asking for her back and that I have phoned the police will see if he gets back,
Kind regards
Thanks again for your time

My pleasure