How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My daughter died 5 years ago. my 15 year old grandson does

This answer was rated:

My daughter died 5 years ago. my 15 year old grandson does not want to move abroad with his dad & his wife. What do i need to do to enable him to stay with us with he's fathers permission


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- does your grandson want to stay with you?

- does the father approve of him satying with you?

- where is his father moving and when is he moving?

kind regards


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my Grandson does want to stay with us
Yes he does approve
His father is moving to Mauritius at the end of October


Thank you for your response.

Please do accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you today.

First thing you would need to do is to notify your local childrens social services. This has to happen whenever someone looks after a child that is not thier own for more than 28 days.

Then you need to apply to court for a Child Arrangements Order. This is an order to confirm that your grandson will live with you. This order would grant you parental responsibility for your grandson. This is important because there would need to be someone in the UK whom holds parental responsibility for him and is able to make decisions in relation to his health and education.

Given that this would be agreed and that the father is moving in 6 weeks then you should make the application to the court marked Urgent. Normally you are to refer to mediation before you can apply to court but there is no dispute here but you still need Parental Responsibility and a Child Arrangements Order is the way to get this as Parental Responsibility cannot be delegated by the father.

You apply to court on this Form:

The application goes to your local family court.

There is a court fee of £215 but you may be eligible for a reduction or remission depending on the circumstances.

Detail in the form the date that father is leaving and that a hearing is required before that date. The father will receive a copy and he will have to attend also to confirm that it is agreed that the order should be made in your favour.

Let me know if I can assist you further

Kindest regards


Please kindly remember to star rate my answer by using the stars. Your question remains open when you leave positive feedback and I can answer your follow up questions for free.

Hello I note that this question remains unrated. I would be grateful if you could kindly star rate so that credit is received for our work. Please note that when you leave positive feedback your question remains open and I can answer your follow up questions for free for you. kind regards Caroline
ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you