How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1368
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

After splitting up my son's partner would not let him see

This answer was rated:

After splitting up my son's partner would not let him see the children. He did not have any money for maintenance. He was living in Alderney C.I. On 10th July this year he hanged himself. We would like to see our granddaughters but his partner will not let us. Is there any way we can gain access to them? When they split up she came to us and lived with us for a year. My husband had to sleep on a pull down bed in the living room so that they could have his room. After finding a place to live (we helped with deposit) she cut off all contact with us. My husband picked up the eldest child from school every day but when he went to see the child when she came out of school her mother said it was inappropriate for him to go to the school. This was before my son died. We have had no contact with her since his death. She was going to bring the children to his funeral (my son-in-law was in contact with her) but she did not turn up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have lived with the children for years. Over 10 years ago we sold our house and gave my son and his partner £200,000 to buy a house. The idea was that we would all live together while work was being done and when the house was sold. We all lived together for 7 years. In that time another child was born. The relationship between us broke down in the last year and when we sold the house my son and his partner went to live in Alderney. After 2 years that relationship broke down and my son's partner came back to live in England. For the sake of children we took them in.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Everything seemed fine. I cut off contact with my son because of the way he had behaved. But after a year with us she took the children and left us without a backward glance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The children are aged 14 and 9.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

Please can you tell me:

- when was the last time you saw your grandchildren?

- just to clarify are you residing in England now? is the mother also?

kind regards


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it was around February. We live in Hitcham, Suffolk and she lives in Boxford, Suffolk. About 10 minutes away. She bought a house (shared ownership) so we could support her with the girls as she works full time. Obviously, that has not happened. I received a call from Scarlett's (9) new school in Boxford a few weeks after they moved so she did put us on emergency call. I rang her at work to tell her and asked if my husband should pick her up and she said no she would deal with it. After she left she decided she did not want us in their lives.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I prefer to leave it as it is. I will forget everything if we talk on phone. I need it written down. Head like a sieve!


Thank you for your response.

Please do accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you today.

You can ignore the pop up about the phone call it comes from the site and not me.

I understand that you have previous had a really good relationship with your grandchildren and I am very sorry to hear that the mother is choosing to no longer promote that relationship.

In your circumstances I would suggest that you consider making an application to your local family court for a Child Arrangements Order.

This is an order that sets out when you can spend time with your grandchildren.

The first step you need to take is to refer your case to family mediation. There are lots of family mediation services and there will be one local to you. If you google family mediation in your area and then you can give them a call to self refer to them.

Mediation is a prerequisite before you can make an application to court.

Mediation will try and help you agree with the mother that you should be able to spend time with your grandchildren.

If mediation doesnt help reach an outcome that is agreed then the mediator will sign the application form that you need to make the application to court.

The Court Form is the C100 Form and as you are grandparents and do not have parental responsibility then you also need to complete Form C2 asking the courts permission to bring proceedings.

The court will make an order if tehy consider the same to be in your grandchildrens best interests. They will consider the previous relationship that you had. It is important that children are aware of thier heritage so this will also be a factor in your case. The wishes and feelings of your eldest grandchild are also likley to be considered and given appropriate weight given her age.

There is a court fee of £215 which may be reduced or waived depending on your circumstances.

If the court makes the order then the mother can be sanctioned if she does not comply.

It is better to make your referral to mediation and if needs be your application to court asap as the longer it goes on without seeing your grandchildren the harder any reintroduction could be deemed.

Please let me know if I can help you further

kindest regards


Please kindly remember to star rate my answer. Your feedback is important to me. Once you leave positive feedback your question remains open and I can answer your follow up questions for free for you.

ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much for putting us on the right track. I will certainly give you a 5 star rating.