How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1441
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Father of children has not seen them for 7 years, no contact

This answer was rated:

Father of children has not seen them for 7 years, no contact at all and no interest shown on them. Paid maintenance through csa. My previous employer has received a letter addressed to me with a request for contact / court action if I don't agree. My children would not recognise him and he has previously been verbally very abusive. He would I am certain let the children down time and time again making promises he would not keep and dropping out of arrangements last minute. When they were babies and toddlers this was ok but now they are teenagers it would cause untold emotional hurt. What are my rights as a mother to protect my children from this? What steps can I take to ensure they are kept safe and no contact is allowed or would a court rule in his favour as their biological father?
No letter has been sent to me directly at a current place of work or residence I have received the letter very indirectly.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- how old are your children?

- are there any previous court orders?

- is it just a letter that you have received or is there a date for the court appointment?

kind regards


Customer: replied 7 months ago.
11 and 9. No previous court orders. Just letters and one is threatening court priceesings
Customer: replied 7 months ago.


Thank you for your response.

7 years is a very long time give your childrens young ages.

It is very understandable that you dont trust him given his lack of previous commitment to the children and you are of course right to be worried about the emotional well being of your children as thier father cannot simply walk in and out of their lives as and when he pleases.

If you have only received a letter so far telling you that it is intended that he will make an application to court then I woould not worry. The father can my all means make an application to court but this isnt about what he wants but what is in the best interests of the children and that will be the courts main focus should he make an application to spend time with your children.

Before the father can make an application to the court he does have to refer to family mediation. It is worth engaging in family mediation and explaining your concerns.

If mediation cant reach agreement and he does apply to court then the court will be concerned that 7 years is a long time and that your children do not know him. The court will expect the father to demonstrate a level of commitment and in reality they are only likely to order indirect contact for a period of time so that the father can demonstrate his commitment and also so that the court can assess how your children respond to the same.

I would not worry but be confident to tell the court your worries and the court will listen and make sure that any order made is in the best interests of your children.

kind regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received.

ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you