How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1485
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I have 3 children ages are 10,8+4, my youngest is to my

Customer Question

Hi, I have 3 children ages are 10,8+4, my youngest is to my husband. He has been a father to my 2 eldest children for 6 years. We split up in June and since then has had little contact with all 3 children. He has now decided to only pay maintanance for the youngest and only wants contact with her. I am wondering where I stand as to the eldest children? If they find out he doesn't want to see them they will be devastated am I right in insisting he should have contact with them all?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 9 months ago.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear how your husband is behaving.

Please may I ask:

- is divorce contemplated?

- did your husband aquire parental resposibility for your elder 2?

kind regards


Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi yes a divorce is contemplated he has said so and no not legally just morally I guess, they have no communication or contact with their biological dad
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 8 months ago.


Thank you for your response.

Please do accept my apologies for not being available the last few days.

I can tell you that in relation to spending time with the children - unfortuantely it is not possible to force your husband to spend time with all 3. If you were to withhold contact with the youngest, then given her young age a court would likely allow the father contact with the youngest.

In relation to the financial needs of all 3 children, as you were married and as part of dealing with the matrimonial finances, the court would consider the elder 2 as children of the family despite your husband not having parental responsibility for them. You cannot claim maintenance for the elder 2 from the child maintenance service but the court can award you a larger share of the matrimonial assets and also consider maintenance as they have been treated by your husband as children of the family and the court will want to ensure that their welfare needs are met.

let me know if I can assis you further

kind regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received

Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 8 months ago.


I note that this question remains unrated.

I would be grateful if you could kindly star rate so that credit is received for our work.

Please note that when you leave positive feedback your question remains open and I can answer your follow up questions for free for you.

kind regards