How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I'm getting divorced and will stay in the family home. I'm

Customer Question

Hi I'm getting divorced and will stay in the family home. I'm going to pay my ex a lump sum to buy him out, which he is happy with. My problem is that I don't want to change the mortgage as I pay interest only, I cannot afford a new mortgage on my own. I have read online that I can leave the mortgage in joint names as it is but I will be solely responsible for it and he will agree not to have any money when it is sold. I cannot remember what this is called and wander if you have headed of it?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 7 months ago.

Hello - just for background information - are there any children under 18?