How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Family Law Expert
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I retired from the police service in 2005. I got married in

This answer was rated:

I retired from the police service in 2005. I got married in 2009, and did not know my wife throughout my police service. If we now divorced, is she legally entitled to a share of my monthly pension?


There are a few different options available when dealing with pensions in divorces.

1. Pension sharing - a percentage of your pension goes to your partner.

2. Pension offsetting - here your former spouse may be able to keep a certain asset whilst you keep your pension.

3. Pension attachment - This directs pension scheme trustees to make payments to former spouse from the date the member draws on the pension benefits.

I hope this assists you further. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you