How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I divorced in 2012 and agreed a consent order which set out

Customer Question

I divorced in 2012 and agreed a consent order which set out a requirement to pay lifetime periodical payments to my former spouse. I have recently lost my main income and want to vary the amount I pay to reflect my lower income.We have agreed following mediation, to an informal arrangement for 6 months but this has not been submitted to the courts. I understand this needs to happen.Due to the costs involved in mediation, my former spouse will not engage in further discussions either with or without a mediator until the temporary arrangement has expired.I would like to make an application to court to (i) formalise the interim variation (ii) set out some terms for future payments subject to my future earnings.I have agreement for part (i) but not for part (ii). How should I proceed ?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

When did the mediation finish?