How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1386
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My Granddaughter, along with her mum, is in care until such

Customer Question

My Granddaughter, along with her mum, is in foster care until such time the courts make a decision whether mum, dad and daughter can live as a family. Contact has been arranged between mum, dad and daughter. We asked if we could call in for a period of time on Wednesday, but told no as Claire, daughter in law, was being observed. I suggested that we don't need to get involved just sit and watch for a period of time, half hour, then leave them to do whatever they want for the other hour and half.Is this being unreasonable. Social services only got in contact with me yesterday even though they have know since July we wanted to visit. Contact had not been arranged then. How do I stand legally in visiting our grandchild?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 5 months ago.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- how old is your grandaughter?

- is she in placement with her mother?

- what were the reasons that led to the LA being involved?

- what relationship did you have with your granddaghter before?

- do you want to be assessed as an alternative carer?

kind regards


Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Our graddaughter is 3 months old, d.o.b. 29th June 2017.
Yes Mother and baby are in placement together.Mother was on mencap due to learning difficulties, she is 32 next month but probably mental age of 20/25 years. Plus Dad has police record for various misderminers, plus probably still smokes weed, or what ever it's call. Unable to tell you exactly what his records are. He 32 in December no mental problems as far as I know.We haven't been able to see her yet.No, I am unable to be a carer for her as I am disabled and my condition is progressive. I just want to visit occasionally when in the sussex area. We live in Cornwall
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 5 months ago.


Thank you for your response.

Please do accept my apologies for my delay in responding to you.

I am glad to hear that your daughter is being given the opportunity to care for her daughter.

In relation to yoou spending time with your granddaughter whilst the care proceedings are ongoing - it is the posistion that the local authority are only under a duty to enure that they offer parental contact for all other relatives they should look to promote contact but this is not a duty like it is for the parents.

You are correct in contacting the social workers manager and exlaining your position. They may well take a different view to the social worker whom hasnt helped you so far.

Family members are of course important and consideration will be given to any relationship you have had with your granddaughter before although this may be very limited if she is only a baby.

I understand your position in relation to caring given the issues. I asked as if you were assessed positively a a carer then the local authority should really be looking at promoting the relationship more in cae the placement with the mother did not work out.

If you dont get anywhere with the social worker of their manager you could try the childrens guardian. The mother will be able to tell you whom this independant person is. I say this because you are part of the package for your daughter and her support network. I understand you cant care but you are still wanting to be their for your daughter and your granddaughter in the future and this could be factored in to the decision the local authority make as to your daughters ability to care. Explain this to the social worker / manager but also the childrens guardian. You may find that one of them is supportive of this and then the contact position in relation to you seeing your granddaughter is changed. Contact is regularly reviewed and the Guardian often attends at contact planning meetings and they may be able to advocate your positon for you.

Let me know if I can assist you further

kind regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received

Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 5 months ago.


I note that this question remains unrated. Please do not hesitate to ask if I can assist you further.

I would be grateful if you could use the stars to star rate my answer so that credit is received for helping you.

kind regards