How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I am married my wife and i have seperated. I left the home

Customer Question

Hi.. i am married my wife and i have seperated. I left the home temporaily. There are no children livi g at the marital home. The mortage is in my wifes name. I have home rights with land registary. I need to move back in to the marital home. My wife is refusing and says she has changed the locks. I have a key from the original locks. Am i allowed to move back in.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is***** shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
Have you started divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No not as yet we seperated in june
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We only seperated in june no divorce proceddings as yet
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.
What is your current housing position?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am sleeping at a frei ds house a few nights a week the rest of the time at work.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.
If your key works then you are entitled to return to the property.
Unfortunately as you are not a joint owner you will not be able to break in if the key does not work
In that case your only option is to apply to the court for an Occupation Order allowing you to return to the property
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details