How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and I hade a joint life insurance policy, we

Customer Question

My husband and I hade a joint life insurance policy , we divorced in 2008 but neither of us changed the beneficiary on the policy. He has recently passed away without a will. The probate solicitor has got the claims form from the j Duran r company and is asking me to sign the proceeds over even though I am listed as the claimant and some beneficiary - is this correct or am I entitled to it given it was a joint policy that we both paid I to? The policy was not part of our divorce settlement
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To be clear I am listed as the only beneficiary in case of his death ( and he was listed as my only beneficiary) - sorry my typing isn’t great!
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

If the policy was not dealt with within the divorce then you are correct - the money belongs to you

It is up to you if you wish to sign it over to his estate or not

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details