How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

After my father passed away in 2011,he left me his half of

This answer was rated:

after my father passed away in 2011,he left me his half of the property where i live. The other half belonging to my mother,and we are tenants in common. my mother left the property in 1976 and never,returned,never paid any bills regarding the upkeep or even any payment towards the morgage. its morgage free now. Between 2011 and 2015, I personaly have spent over 20,000 pounds modernising the property. Then in 2015 my mother decided that she wanted her share (50%)out of the property. As i was diagnosed with rhumatoid arthrits in 2013,cannot get a morgage to buy her share. I have been told that if the property sells then she is entitled to 50% of the sale value!??? Shorly the amount i have spent modernising the property would be taken in concideration?? She is taking this matter to the courts!!

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the property worth and what work did you actually do on the property?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Built in 1970. No modifications from 1970. Complete renovation,kitchen,all solid floor throughout ground floor,walls knocked down,double glazing throughout,etc. Including building permission for double garage + workshop with toilet and shower.
Today’s valuation £250,000. Thank you.

I am afraid that your mother is entitled to force the sale of the property and you cannot prevent it.

You can however ask the court to give you credit for the money that you have spent in improving the property.

You should start negotiations - using a mediator if necessary - as soon as possible

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you