How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1469
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My daughter has bought a house with her boyfriend. They have

This answer was rated:

My daughter has bought a house with her boyfriend. They have now split up and he is living in the house which is up for sale.Should my daughter continue to pay the mortgage and house insurance even though she is not living there.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

As it is likely that the mortgage is in both of their names then your daughter is liable to pay the mortgage. The mortgage company could seek either of them if there was a short fall. That being said as your daughter is not living in the property then she is not receiving the benefit of her contribution and therefore as a short term an agreement could be reached with the ex that her payment should be reduced as she is not living there. Mediation might help them both come to an agreement. There are lots of mediation services and there will be one local to you. Google family mediaton in your area and give them a call to self refer.

kind regards


Please kindly remember to rate positive so that credit is received for helping you today

ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi CarolineThanks for your advice I will suggest that she speaks to a mediator.Many thanksAlan

Thank you for your Kind words Alan. Thank you for using Just Answer.

I wish you all the best.

kind regards