How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35211
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son was in s relationship in which he took her kids on as

Customer Question

My son was in s relationship in which he took her kids on as his own the yougest was 18mouths and only knows him as her dad and calls him dad as she does not know any different the relationship has ended and his ex partner is using his daughter as blackmail and says he can not see her as he not her real dad but has been her dad for the past 5 half years where does he stand legally with this he never adopted her but her name was changed to his
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Since he is not the biological father your son has no automatic rights I am afraid.

However since he has clearly had a close relationship with the child he can ask the courts for permission to apply for a Child arrangement Order - and it is likely that the cOurt will agree that it is in the best interests of this child for the contact to take place

The starting point is for him to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a local family mediator - and if mediation is not suitable he can apply to the courts using a form C100

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details