How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35212
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been married for 6 years and living with my wife for

This answer was rated:

I have been married for 6 years and living with my wife for 11 years in her house. The house is in my wife's name only, but we have been paying the mortgage from our joint account.The house is worth £115,000 and I would like to pay off the remaining mortgage of £65,000 with my personal savings from the sale of my previous house.In the event of a breakup I want to ensure I get half the value of our house so that I'm not left with nothing. Do I need my name on the deeds or any paperwork to prove my contribution towards the property or would a divorce process just sort it all out fairly? I would prefer not to go through any expensive procedures unless really necessary. Also it's not nice to have to explain to my wife I want to protect myself in case we divorce in the future.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

You do not have to have your name of the deeds as the family court can distribute assets in any way that it considers fair no matter who owns it!

However if you are paying off the mortgage it does seem both reasonable and right for the property to be transferred into joint names!

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you