How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1484
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I was sexually abused as a child by my stepfather, my mother

This answer was rated:

I was sexually abused as a child by my stepfather , my mother currently still lives with this man .. my partner is threatening to get custody of my children because of this if I leave him . My children have nothing to do with him don't know him and are never anywhere near him however they do have a relationship with my mum but never at her house .. where do I stand ?


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear about what happened.

What you need to know is that it is the position of the courts that children are entitled to a really good relationship with both of their parents as long as there are no child protection concerns as to why this cannot happen.

You seem well aware of the possible risk posed by the man whom abused you and if you have ensured that the children will not be left with him and you can trust your mother not to allow this man access to your children then this is not a reason for a court to say that your children should live with your partner should you separate.

In reality a court will want to maintain consistency for the children so whoever has been the main carer so should continue with the other parent also getting lots of time with the children.

You should consider mediation as this is a way of trying to reach agreement as to when the children should spend time with both of you without the need for court. Mediation is independant and lawyers are not involved. Google family mediation in your area and give them a call to self refer.

If agreement cannot be reached at mediation as to when the children will spend time with both of you then you can apply to court for a child arrangements order and the court will make the decision. You do have to attempt mediation before you can apply to court unless the matter is urgent.

Let me know if I can assist you further

kind regards


Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi thankyou for your response am I able to ask you one last thing . My partner has his own business and for tax reasons he uses my name and national insurance number to pay money to himself and his business partner they split it. Can i be liable for fraud ?


Sorry I cant help you with that one as I am a family solicitor but if you repost another question an appropriate expert will be able to help you with that.

kindest regards


Positive feedback is gratefully received

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thankyou .

Your welcome.

If I can assist you further please do not hesitate to ask. If you are happy with service please kindly click on the stars.

kind regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you