How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am going through a divorce and it's been going on for over

This answer was rated:

I am going through a divorce and it's been going on for over a year about 15 months . I have two daughters aged seven and two which both are happy living with me. The mother have changed her mind now and looking to take them away from me. Can she do that??? She has no accommodation as she is renting a room in a shared flat and work part time and study part time. Do you think that if I go to court will the judge keep them with me?? Kindly advice

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

When did your ex move out and what contact has she had since then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
14 months ago , she was seeing them twice a week but never helped in anyway with the home work, feeding , bathing or anything apart from from playtime but since she put a solicitor a month ago she is seeing them 4 times a week
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lots of people advising me to contact group called justice for fathers, as they would recommend a good solicitor for such a case . Do you recommend such a thing ??? Which shall I do as the girls would like to stay with me

You have no need to go that far - a local family lawyer from the list available here

will be fine

The court is not gender biased - but it does favour the Status quo - and in your case (unusually) that involves the children living with you. That gives you a strong case and means that the worst case scenario is shared care when your ex obtains a suitable property.

Shared care simply means the children spending some night with their mother and the rest with you

What you need to do is to stay calm and carry on being the great dad that you clearly are

You do not need an aggressive lawyer - you need an experienced one who can capitalise on the fact that you provide the security and stability which the children are entitled to

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your swift answer. But she can’t afford a place as she is on a very low income, do you think the housing benefit will help her so she can take the girls

She will certainly be entitled to housing benefit if she has some form of shared care order

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you