How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son is in the process of having 50% custody of our

This answer was rated:

hello - my son is in the process of having 50% custody of our grandaugher following a court order - my son is the father on the birth certificate and has not lived with his partner for 8 years - my son gave her cash payments for food, clothes, holidays etc on an informal basis
over these years and both paternal and maternal grandparents have given the grandaughter
massive support as well.What is the current ruling for child support/£ maintenance? and does it apply if he has 50% custody? - we note that the CSA has been disbanded but the CMS is the new body and cannot collect any back pay in the past - My son's ex partner has 2 other children from 2 other relationships and we assume she is claiming maximum benefits.thank you

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

If your son now has the child a full 50% of the time then under the CMS rules no child maintenance is payable by either parent to the other.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you Clare for your response which will clarify matters

You are most welcome I hope all goes well

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you