How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35215
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Still haven't heard from my husbands solicitor since

This answer was rated:

Still haven't heard from my husbands solicitor since disclosure over 3 months ago? There is no money to give him right now until the children are 18 and I have offered to take the mortgage on? We have a buy to let mortgage and I am now living in this property we both were until separation. I want to move to a residential mortgage ASAP what would you advise? Also the solicitor still hasn't severed the tenancy on the house would you advise that he does this? Can I get a mortgage solely on my own even if the divorce has not been finalised?

The way forward is for you to issue the court applictaion for the finances to be dealt with

This will lock you into a court set timetable which will result in a final court order if no agreement can be reached.

Severing the joint tenancy is always a two edged sword - but you do not have to be divorced to get a mortgage in your sole name

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I apply to get a mortgage in my sole name even if my husband is on the deeds of the property?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have asked him to go to mediation but he has refused. Do I persevere?

You have to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment meeting then you can apply to the court.

You can get a mortgage - but you will not be able to remortgage your current home without either buying him out or his agreement

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just wanted some advice following on from before thinking about sending a proposal letter. Proposing that he signs the house over to me and the boys comes off the mortgage. I can remortgage for £210,000 on my own as we currently have £250,000 mortgage. Solicitor has advised to offer £40,000 as a clean break considering all aspects of contributions etc at this time. I can only raise £15,000 at this time. What would your advice be? Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing?

I am a little confused - how would you raise that sum?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
am I.. By putting myself in to debt by borrowing the money. We are at stale mate... What would you say would be the most sensible way forward?

If you cannot release him from the mortgage - and you say that you cannot raise a large enough mortgage to do so - then there is little point in offering him a lump sum at this point - so go back to the thoughts we discussed last time!