How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1431
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I had a court order made in 2003 which said upon going

This answer was rated:

I had a court order made in 2003 which said upon going through with divorce I would receive 70 percent of the house and my partner would get 30 percent if I sold it. I did not push the divorce through but now want to. Does my order still stand. My partner said it doesn't because kids have now gone and I won't be entitled to nothing. We were never reconciled. I have been married 43 years. My husband has everything. I am living on £300 per week and he pays all household bills except a few as per the original Court ruling. The house is still in his name. Now he's talking about giving it to my son. He has left - my husband now lives in Spain.


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am a bit confused as to how you already have a court order in relation to the matrimonial finances if you have not yet divorced - it is perhaps:

1) an order made in in Judicial Separation Proceedings?

2) divorce proceedings were started but never ontained decree absolute?

kind regards


Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Judicial separation proceedings on religious grounds, but now want to proceed for divorce.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No can't afford it
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The order came into effect when I obtained a decree absolute but I put in for judicial separation when it was granted
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are still married


Thank you for confirming that for me. You can ignore the pop up for a phone call as it somes automatically from the site and not me.

I had suspected it would have been a Juducial separation as the court can deal with financial orders in those proceedings.

Basically what your husband has told you is wrong. The order that you have in respect of the matrimonial finances is legally binding. The provisions made in relation to the house will not be changed if you now decide to divorce.

You do not have to worry the 70% of the house is yours.

Let me know if I can assist you further

kind regards


Pleasekindly remember to rate positvely by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** Thought it might not be after so long. Regards

Bless You!

A court order is legally binding no matter how long ago it was made.

let me know if I can help you further

kindest regards


positive feedback is gratefully received

ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you