ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

I have looked after twins for 15 years but due to ill health

I have looked after twins for 15 years but due to ill health retirement have had to sell house. Have moved to Scotland because I wanted kids to access the free tuition in university. Their father objected wanting them to remain at their current school until they have completed GCSE's. They have 1.5 years to go. They also wanted to stay until after exams, so I agreed that they stay with their father.
He has applied for child maintenance.
Now.....I have worked full time to support the children with housing etc.......he paid nothing for them for 4 years and then a derisory £20 a month until a year ago since which time he has paid nothing.
I receive state pension and also a works related pension totalling £237 per week.
Can you please tell me how much the child maintenance will be for this amount?

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear that the father is now seeking child maintenance given that he has paid so little previoulsy.

Despite his previous record of paying very little it is still possible for him to seek child maintenance under the child maintenance service rules if the children are now living with him.

As you have confirmed that you receive state pension - then the amount of child maintenance you will pay is actually set at £7 per week.

Please do let me know if I can assist you further

kindest regards

Caroline

Please kindly rememeber to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also receive work related pension.....does this make a difference?

Sorry for the delay - my computer decided to crash.

It does not matter that you receive other income - the fact that you receive state pension means that under the 2012 rules you pay the flat fee of £7 per week.

I will get you a link to the CMS calculator so you can also see for yourself.

kind regards

Caroline

Positive feedback is gratefully received

This calculator will confirm this for you - you are only liable fo the flat rate which I hope is a bit of good news for you.

https://www.cmoptions.org/en/calculator/calculator.asp

kindest regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is indeed good news.

I thought it might be :)

kindest regards

Caroline

Positive feedback is gratefully recieved

I note that this question remains unrated. Your feedback is important to me.

I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my answer by using the stars.

If I can assist you any further then please do not hesitate to ask.

kindest regards

Caroline