How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask michael holly Your Own Question
michael holly
michael holly, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7071
Experience:  BA Hons degree Law , Solicitors finals, 20 years experience, trained family law mediator.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
michael holly is online now

Have I any rights to stop the sale of "my home" after living

This answer was rated:

Hi, have I any rights to stop the sale of "my home" after living here for 13 years with my partner of 30 years now married for 2 years. My husband's brother owns the house and 2 months before my wedding in 2016 I found out my husband had never bought it or had any legal agreement on it from his brother.
The house is now sale agreed but do I have any rights.Kind Regards,Allison.

Dear Allison

Unfortunately not, it is like you are lodgers in the house.

If over that period you have made substantial improvements which have added to the value of the property you may have gained an interest in the property. The improvements cannot be just decorating or maintenance but things like adding a conservatory but even this will give you an interest in the proceeds of sale and not the right to continue occupy the property.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

I appreciate that this is not the answer you were hoping to read but kindly accept my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes


michael holly and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you