Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My daughter suffered abuse at home and stayed with friends

My daughter suffered abuse at home and stayed with friends while trying to persuade her husband to seek help with his anger problem, he is petitioning for divorce because of her unreasonable behaviour.
What are her options?

does she want to get divorced?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No her husband is in the forces and suffers bouts of PTSD.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry find it difficult remembering info, so much happening at the moment.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would like response on line please.

I see. If she does not want to divorce she can oppose the divorce, although the court would frequently allow a divorce. Has he grounds?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the points stated on the petition are vague and not accurate.

Then she can defend the petition if she wishes to do so.

The fact is that the respondent to any divorce proceedings has the right to defend. However, if they do so then the procedure will become a lot more complicated, and therefore the costs will increase hugely (if they fail to stop the divorce going through they are also likely to be ordered to pay the petitioner’s costs). Defending divorce proceedings is therefore not a decision that should be ta***** *****ghtly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Therefore the advice is to agree to the petition against her which is not true, forget about the history of repetitive abuse which led to her staying with her family and take the blame for the breakdown of the marriage, otherwise she could incur costs.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does she at any time have the opportunity to state the history of abuse?

She can set out the abuse but that might support the prospect of divorce. I hope this helps and please rate positive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Set out the abuse where?

In her witness statement to the court if she fights the petition. I hope that this helps and please rate.