How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33645
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My ex husband and i have been divorced for over a year now.

This answer was rated:

Hi, my ex husband and i have been divorced for over a year now. I have moved out and am wiht someone new. My ex wont allow me to take the kids on holiday and repeatedly tells the kids they are to have nothing to do with my boyfriend. Am i able to get something formal which allows me to take the kids away?

where do the children live? You or him? Are there any court orders in place?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No court orders in place. They are with me during the week and with him on the weekends. I have asked for the kids to be with me on a weekend once a month but he won't agree. During the holidays he won't let me have them for Christmas or not their birthdays. I work round him but now it's hurting the kids.

Ok that makes sense. The court would allow you to go on a holiday with your partner and also probably alternate weekends. You would be making an application for a child arrangement order (although you would have try mediation first). There is a very good book on amazon for about a tenner which talks you through the process - I have attached a link to make it easier for you -

Basically you would be applying for a court order for the child to live with you and spend time with your ex. This would also have the benefit of allowing you to take the child out of the country for unto 28 days. I hope that this helps and please rate positive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He isn't refusing mediation can someone be forced to go?

No the court will not force people to go to mediation.

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you