How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

My daughter bought a house 10 years ago with her then

Customer Question

My daughter bought a house 10 years ago with her then husband. After 6 months he left the marital home. They divorced and my daughter has paid the mortgage ever since. They own as joint tenants. My daughter does not earn enough to obtain a mortgage in her sole name. Is it possible to transfer into sole name
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Was any form of financial agreement made at the time of the divorce?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not as far as I am aware. The divorce was by agreement and no solicitor was involved
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

Are there any children involved?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The house is worth 90000. There is around 80000 outstanding. My daughter has a child from a later relationship.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

So there is limited equity in the property.

Is there anyone else who could join the mortgage to allow her ex to be released?

Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Does her ex actually want to make a claim on the property?