ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings

We married in 2011, and I am intending to divorce in the

We married in 2011, and I am intending to divorce in the basis that we separated in December 2015. At the time of our marriage, I owned my current house and a flat London. I subsequently sold the flat and bought another property close to where I now live. I also own my business (set up and successful prior to our marriage). My husband ran up huge debts, but in my name. I currently have approximately £35000 debt, but no proof of what proportion of it is down to him. I agreed to give him the car I bought for him to use (£7000) but no other settlement. He is now proposing to fight me and go after my assets. Where do I stand?

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I am sorry to hear what is happening.

Please may I ask:

- are are the assets and liabilities for both of you including pensions?

- how long were you living together before you got married?

- any minor children? If so, who is the main carer?

- what is the income for both of you respectively?

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. Thanks so much for your reply.
The assets and liabilities are all in my name only.
We were living together for 2 years before we married.
We have two children, and I am the main carer for both.
I am self employed - my net income last year was approx 11,000, but the previous year was 40, 000. I would expect it to. E approx 27,000 this year.
His income is £12500 pa.

Thank you for your response.

Sorry I had a typo in my last question - can you let me know the value of your assets and if your ex has any assets?

kind regards

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ah, no problem. The property I live in has approx £60,000 equity, the second property has no mortgage and is valued at £90,000. I also have shares to the approximate value of £3500.00. He has no assets.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has a pension valued at approx £14000 currently. I have a pension valued at approx £7000.

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Whilst your ex can make a claim in relation to the matrimonial finances, given that your marriage was a relatively short one then his claim is going to be very limited.

You have children which you will be the main carer for and the courts priority is going to be meeting the housing needs of those children. There is not enough equity in your house for it to be sold and the equity divided and the children rehoused without a mortgage.

Given the debts, which would also be reduced against your assets and his pension which is also an asset.

This is a really rough guide:

157k your assets

35k liabilities

= £122k

offset his pension is £108k

Given the length of your marriage and you are the main carer of your children, his share is going to be around 10-20%, or around £10-20k

This is a really rough guide but this is where you should start.

You need to consider family mediation. This is a way of trying to reach agreement without the need for court or lawyers and is actually a prerequisite before an order can be applied for in relation to the matrimonial finances.

Google family mediation in your area and give them a call to self refer.

kind regards

Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. You have explained that all very clearly. Many thanks again.