Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

What would be the benefits of going to court to get contact

What would be the benefits of going to court to get contact etc legalised. We have been to mediation and agreed contact days but my ex always wants to arrange things like gymnastics competitions for my days.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hertfordshire
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Well the purpose of a court order would mean that the mother can not arrange things such as gymnastic on your days without your agreement because it will all be set out in a court order. If the mother breaches the court order then the court can enforce the order against her. It basically gives you a lot more protection. There is a very good book on the topic which is about a tenner on amazon and talks you through the entire court process. I have attached a link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/How-Represent-Yourself-Family-Court-understanding-resolving/147211910X

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am the mother. :-) The father is a controlling man and tries to get my daughter away from me at every opportunity and makes me look bad if I refuse things like gymnastics or his family birthday parties. My family always organise things for when it's my days. He wanted her for three out of 4 weekends in November and sent me abuse because I refused. Thanks for the link. Someone has suggested that I look into seeking custody. We have joint custody at the moment so please could you tell me what it means if I have custody?

It is not called custody anymore it is called a child arrangement order. If you get a defined order then that will be clear. You can ask the court to ensure as part of the order that the child goes to gymnastics etc and this can be part of a specific court order. Also you should not be losing the child for 3 weekends out of 4. An order can give you a lot of understanding as its in a court order.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
am I entitled to say no to the gym on my days? She goes on Saturdays when she is with her dad, but they do events and competitions on Sundays which is my day. They are not compulsory for the class she is in .

Perfectly entitled to say this. It is a matter for you with your time. I hope that this helps and please rate positive.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you . You have been most helpful. I will rate positive. I have ordered the book!