How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1494
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

Is it legal for a solicitor that represented me in my

This answer was rated:

Is it legal for a solicitor that represented me in my divorce in 1984 then represent my husband ( different man ) when we divorced in 2002


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I can understand why you would be concerned as the solicitor would previously held information about you on their files which could put them at an advantage when then acting for your later husband.

Solicitors are suppose to have in place a system whereby they can check the names of potential clients against previous clients so that they can consider whether there would a conflict of interest, such as you have described.

It may well be that in the 18 years since you provided instructions that your solicitor had destroyed your file as files are normally only held in storage for circa 6 years or so. That being said, if the Solicitor had remembered your case, even without the file, then they should have not acted for your further husband.

It is not illegal to act as the Solicitor did, but such issues in relation to conflict of interest are considered professional ethics issues.

Unfortunately as it has been over a year since you instructed that Solicitor you cannot ask the Legal Ombudsman to investigate the matter for you.

You can still refer to the Solicitors Regulation Authority and ask them to investigate, but after 16 years have passed since the solicitor acted for your further husband, in all reality, I do doubt that they will take any action now.

kind regards


Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today.

ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you