How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12130
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I'm kearns i been living with my wife for 17 years married

Customer Question

hi i'm ralph kearns
i been living with my wife for 17 years married for 9 and i been trying to get my papers from my parents house but they won't give it to me how can i get this stuff
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Hello - is this your parents who wont give it to you? if not who then?

what has your marriage got to do with this matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it my parents
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on bebefits can I get legal aid
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that there is no legal aid for this.

However if you need to go to court, you can probably get the fees for the court application waived.

You need to write to your parents telling them that unless they let you have your belongings back (the papers) by next Friday, 23rd of March latest, you will make an application to court for an injunction to make them give you the items back and you will ask the court to award costs against them.

By the end of Friday, you haven’t got the items back or they haven’t agreed to let you have them back, then you make the application to court to compel them to give you the documents and other belongings. You need to complete court forms N1 and N16A (Google will provide) and you need a witness statement in this format in support of your application:

The court application fee is £255 but if you fit the criteria, you can get this waived. Here is some reading on that:

What you can’t do causes your parents with a blunt instrument until they capitulate and give you your belongings back and if they won’t let you have them, your only remedy is to threaten court and ultimately take them to court.

A solicitors letter may remove the need to go to court but they are unlikely to let you have one unless you pay.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.