How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35188
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My husband and I are separating and I wanted to know if I

This answer was rated:

My husband and I are separating and I wanted to know if I could stop his mother from seeing our children? Only because she has only ever bothered with our daughter, will take her on day trips or weekends away always claiming to be a girly weekend or girls only trip and my son never gets those invites or opportunities and this has been a bone of contention between my husband and I for ages now as he will say nothing and do nothing about it. Although I have said for the last few years that unless she treats them both the same that my daughter can no longer do those things with her grandmother as she needs to treat them the same. He refuses to say anything to his mother and now we are separating because he's scared of his mother he will allow this to continue behind my back. I just wanted to know if I can stop it from continuing as I believe that they should be treated the same and if they're not then I want to know where I stand to protect my son from her blatant favouritism? Kathryn
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Portsmouth England
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it

How old are the children

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11 & 14

Firstly unless you can show that there are actual safeguarding concerns then the court (if it went to court) would normally allow contact. The fact that one is treated better than the other could be used as a definition of emotional harm to the child, so this may be considered a safeguarding concern. Other than that the court would normally allow grandparents to spend time with children.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. If she was to also continually bad mouth me in front of our children would that come under safeguarding issues too?

Yes it would. There is actually a really good book on amazon which might help should it go to court - for about a tenner -

I hope that this helps and please rate 3, 4 or 5 for my time. Thanks

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do, thank you for your help