Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

Would 50/50 split custody entitle me to support paying

would 50/50 split custody entitle me to support paying nursery fees?

Can you provide some more information please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My ex partner and I split during my pregnancy. He has been slowly building up his visitation and recently suggested he has 50% custody. I personally would not want that but if it was to be agreed. What could I expect from his maintenance? He currently pays £240 A month and I cover all costs for childcare. If he has her 50% would he be liable for half of the childcare fees which are incurred on his days?
I do not receive family tax credits or other benefits therefore it makes me nervous it would not be financially viable to reduce his maintenance and continue to pay £850 per month in nursery fees.

Yes. If the child is living with him 50-50 then that would significantly change the maintenance because the child would be living 50-50 with him. As such you may well wish to oppose such an arrangement.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would he be liable for childcare costs on his allocated days?

Yes he would. Please can you also rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was hoping for more information to be honest
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Maybe elaborate on what else I might be entitled to or he be liable for? How I go about starting the discussion Maybe? Next steps?

If it is 50-50 there is going to be an argument as to whether he should be paying you ant maintenance at all. The child would be living with him for half the time. I am very happy to answer further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am less concerned about the maintenance and more around what he would be liable for if not maintenance. I still have other outgoings like her nursery, healthcover, classes for swimming etc. If he is clothing, feeding her etc then I understand the pause on maintenance but what about all other costs? Is this up to him to decide or are there rules? What can I expect to receive contribution towards?

The reality of the situation is that if there was a 50-50 share you would get very little if any maintenance. That said he should be paying half of the child care costs, health cover, classes for swimming etc. The same would apply for clothes, food etc. He would be paying for everything whilst the child is in his care.