Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

I have a question about sharing the equity in a property my

I have a question about sharing the equity in a property my ex partner and I bought together can you help?

What is the question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much of the equity in my house is my ex partner entitled to ?We split 7 years ago , Does she get a share based on the property value then or now .

Is it in both names?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The house is in both names
I have paid the mortgage myself since April 2011 and when we originally bought the house I put in £125,000 and we had a £240,000 mortgage in joint names and shared the cost of the mortgage until she left in 2011

The starting point from the court would be that you own the property 50\50 however you can apply to the court than in the equity of the property you have a greater share because you have been paying a greater share. Ideally you would have completed a deed of trust when you bought the property. But I would get a solicitor to write to her and make a settlement offer on the % you think she’s invested into the property. Happy to discuss and please rate positive

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One final question if I may . Can I base my offer on the value of the property when she left in 2011 or do I have to offer based on the current value?

Yes although she may seek a more uptodate valuation. I hope this helps and please rate positive.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks