Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My question is related to a English couple living in Spain.

My question is related to a English couple living in Spain. Not married who have a 12yr old child ,the Grandparents have returned to the UK with her passport to renew without the mothers consent , can they legally do this

Let me see if I can help.
If you are the child's parent or a guardian, you are able to sign the forms for a passport

In most cases either the mother or the father can sign the application process, unless there is a court order that has been issued that puts the parental responsibility in dispute. We were also told by a recent caller that a child custody or maintenance order did not take away (as a parent) parental responsibilities to the child, and we were obliged to add this to the website as an informative statement.

Please also note that if both parents are present on the childs birth certificate, then both parents have equal rights to sign the passport application on behalf of the chil

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My question was related to the child's fathers parents, who returned to the UK with the child's passport and renew it ,without the mothers consent the child is aged 12yrs, can the Grandparents renew the passport.
Regards RW

No they can not without the consent to be named as guardians by both parents.