How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35188
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My question is related to a English couple living in Spain.

This answer was rated:

My question is related to a English couple living in Spain. Not married who have a 12yr old child ,the Grandparents have returned to the UK with her passport to renew without the mothers consent , can they legally do this

Let me see if I can help.
If you are the child's parent or a guardian, you are able to sign the forms for a passport

In most cases either the mother or the father can sign the application process, unless there is a court order that has been issued that puts the parental responsibility in dispute. We were also told by a recent caller that a child custody or maintenance order did not take away (as a parent) parental responsibilities to the child, and we were obliged to add this to the website as an informative statement.

Please also note that if both parents are present on the childs birth certificate, then both parents have equal rights to sign the passport application on behalf of the chil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question was related to the child's fathers parents, who returned to the UK with the child's passport and renew it ,without the mothers consent the child is aged 12yrs, can the Grandparents renew the passport.
Regards RW

No they can not without the consent to be named as guardians by both parents.

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you