How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1494
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

I need to know if a court would let the father of my child

This answer was rated:

i need to know if a court would let the father of my child have access to him if he hasnt seen him for a few months he is only 1 and half years old


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

Please may I ask:

- was has the father not see your child for a few months?

- was there a previous routine?

- do you have any concerns about the father of a child protection nature?

kind regards


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was going through mediation and arrangemnets were made to organise visits with myself and our son with him back in November since then he has only seen him 3 times the last visit being boxing day since then he hasnt attempted to arrange any other days and has now applying to take it to court. Before that i mentioned a contact centre only because at least it would be a one to one basis without me in the picture which he refused. Im worried that the court will decide to give him access where he can take him straight away without supervision as he does have a criminal record for GBH and he has been aggressive towards me while i had my son in m arms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just dont know what to do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just need some advice


Thank you for your response and for confirming that for me.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you have had with the father.

What you need to know is that it is the position of the courts that children are entitled to a really good relationship with both of their parents and that this should prevail as long as there are no child protection concerns.

You have raised issues about the fathers commitment as well as a history of aggressive behaviour with one such incident occurring whilst you had your child in your arms.

The court will want to investigate the concerns that you have and decide what is safe for your son. It is not simply the case that because the father applies to court then the court will give him what he is asking for, its all about what is in your son's best interests.

Before the first hearing you will receive a telephone call from the Court Children and Families Officer (Cafcass). Cafcass will undertake police and social services checks for both of you so the father's criminal history will come up.

You need to tell Cafcass about how the father has treated you and the incident with your son in your arms. You also need to explain that you are concerned about the fathers lack of commitment. Its worth ringing them to make sure they have the correct telephone number for you and asking about the telephone appointment.

Cafcass are also present at the first court hearing and they tell the court about the issues that have been raised through the checks they have completed.

If safeguarding concerns are identified at that hearing then the court will likely ask Cafcass to complete a report for the court. This is known as a S7 report. Cafcass come and visit you for this report and they also make recommendations about how matters should progress to the court.

What you need to know is that the court is going to be wanting to make sure that your son is safe and they will progress contact, if they deem it safe to do so, at a pace that is suitable for your son. This is therefore not going to progress to unsupervised contact immediately. The father is going to have to show commitment and prove that he is not a risk.

You need to relax and be guided by the professionals making it clear what your worries are and the court will look at these for you.

If I can assist you further just ask

kind regards


Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im waiting for his C100 application to come through to me if i have any further questions would i come through yourself or would it be someone else. Thank you you have made me feel a bit better i was just worried im not saying i dont want him to have access but i just think he is to young to be just taken out by someone he doe not really know.


Thank you for your response. I am glad I could help.

Yes you can ask me any further questions. Once you have left positive feedback by clicking on the stars your question remains open and I am able to answer your follow up questions for free for you.

kindest regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again

Your welcome Jade.

kindest regards