ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

My child's father took his passport from my home without my

My child's father took his passport from my home without my permission and he refuses to return it. What can I do?

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you.

Please may I ask:

- how old is the child?

- are there any court orders in place?

- why do you think that the father has taken the passport - do you consider that he might be wanting to remove the child from the jurisdiction?

kind regards

Caroline

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
13 years old
there are currently proceedings for child arrangements order but court adjourned prohibited steps order and so i the resident parent have always had my son's passport
his father his preventing my son and I to visit family abroad in spite of being told in a court of justice that that is my intention and being allowed to do so.

It was nice to speak with you.

This is the for that you need to make the urgent application to court for return of the passport.

https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/c2-eng.pdf

The court fee is £155

You may be eligible for a fee remission or waiver depending upon your means. See this link

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees

Be clear:

- the planned trip

- his confirmation that he has the passport but will not return the same

- how he is planning to frustrate the holiday

It may well be that even though you have an order to say that the child lives with you and you can travel for up to 28 days without his permission, he may now try to argue that as you are visiting family you intend not to return. If he does this be clear that you do intend to return, your son is at school, your employment, home etc.

kind regards

Caroline