James Mather
James Mather,
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

How can an executor wait before applying for probate? Is

Customer Question

How long can an executor wait before applying for probate? Is there any way to find out if I’m a beneficiary of a will if it’s been 20 months?
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is your relationship to the deceased and do you know who the Executor is?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is my wife’s aunt although my wife and I are currently going through a divorce process. My wife is the executor along with my brother in law. Suspect she is waiting until after the divorce before applying for probate. Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

What assets did the Aunt have?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
163;4 million in property. There are two aunts that died during our marriage. Both having £4 million in property each.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My wife stands to inherit half of this half to her brother and any incidental gifts to others and possibly me.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

What matrimonial assets are there and how long have you lived together?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
163;50,000 in chattels. Married for four years and lived together three years before that. No children.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

What about the matrimonial home?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The home we lived in together is in a discretionary trust for my brother and I. She has made a financial order that the trustees transfer it to her on the basis that it is the “marital home” I have never owned it legally and am not legally entitled to it.
Expert:  Clare replied 7 months ago.

Ok

For clarity do you have any reason to think you are personally named in the Wills or is this just about what she will inherit?