How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12130
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My son has his own flat with a mortgage. His girlfriend with

Customer Question

My son has his own flat with a mortgage. His girlfriend with her daughter are going to move in. Should he have a contract drawn up so she is paying rent and has no claim to the property if the relationship fails?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

Hello for clarification - how long have they been together?

do you know if she is paying towards any bills etc?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she has not moved in yet.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They have been together for a year . She is renting elsewhere.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello? I have paid £26! Can you answer my question? Thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have I been scammed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK I'm going to get my money back.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 months ago.

I assure you, you have not been scammed. It is not a chat service but an email forum board.

Sometimes there may be a delay getting back to you because we have clients and travelling and weekends and other users.

In order for the girlfriend not to have any claim on the house, it is essential that she pays nothing whatsoever except food although even that is an indirect contribution.

A cohabitation agreement is absolutely essential whereby she agrees that she moves into the property, doesn’t contribute towards it, but then again has no claim on it, and it is also essential that she takes legal advice on the effect of the agreement. It’s not sufficient to say that she has been advised to take legal advice and doesn’t want to, she must take that advice and must get it in writing and it must be from a high street solicitor. It would not be sufficient for that advice to come from this website, even though the advice would ultimately be the same.

The potential problem is that she has a child and if she refuses to move out, courts are reluctant to make children homeless so although she may not have a financial claim on the property, if he has been treating the child as a child of the relationship, he can end up being stuck with it.