How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

For the past 14yrs my husband and i have been living in a

Customer Question

For the past 14yrs my husband and i have been living in a house owned by his parents. We are now getting divorced, myself and our 7yr old son currently still live in the house, i was wondering what, if any entitlement we had to the house. We haven't ever paid rent but I've paid all the bills and they have been in my name.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 13 days ago.

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - did you pay anything towards any improvements to the property?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Personally not directly out of my own money it would have been my husband's money, but we decorated, did improvements, built an extension, none of it funded by his parents. It was like our house just not in name but down the line ownership of the property would have eventually changed to me and my husband if we hadn't separated.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Am i going to get more of a reply because I've been waiting 2 days now since i sent the extra info??
Expert:  Clare replied 10 days ago.

My apologies I have been unwell.

The fact that work that you and your husband paid for has increased the value of the property means that you and he have a claim on the proceeds of sale.

This would not mean that you and he are entitled to the full value - just that you are entitled to a monetary payment.

So far as remaining in the property is concerned you may in fact still be able to do so unless your ex in laws can prove they intend to sell the property

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is there any way other then going through a solicitor to find out who owns the property? obviously i will be going through a divorce with my husband, he has told me he had a seventh share in the house, with his parents having 3 shares each, how can i find out if this is true? Also i am questioning if he has shares in his parents house also? Would they find out if i looked into it? I don't have alot of money so if its something i can find out myself that would be helpful. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They are looking to sell the house so obviously if my ex husband has shares in the house or his parents house this would be something I would be entitled to a share of in the divorce. I just wasn't sure how to go about finding out for sure. Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 6 days ago.

You can find out who owns a property using the Land Registry website here

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately the property doesn't come up on there? Is there anything else i can do to find out. I know it is owned outright as it has been in their family for a number of years, it was my ex's grandads house originally. Thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 6 days ago.

Sadly if it is not Registered there is no easy way of checking the ownership

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Without actually asking my ex and his family, is this something a solicitor could find out. Im under the impression there is legal paperwork regarding the ownership because I've been told about the share split, but that's just taking their word for it and i want to know for definate with regards ***** ***** divorce, i don't want him hiding anything from me. I have checked with land registry and they say its defiantly unregistered, why would this be?