13262538

For the past 14yrs my husband and i have been living in a

For the past 14yrs my husband and i have been living in a house owned by his parents. We are now getting divorced, myself and our 7yr old son currently still live in the house, i was wondering what, if any entitlement we had to the house. We haven't ever paid rent but I've paid all the bills and they have been in my name.

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - did you pay anything towards any improvements to the property?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Personally not directly out of my own money it would have been my husband's money, but we decorated, did improvements, built an extension, none of it funded by his parents. It was like our house just not in name but down the line ownership of the property would have eventually changed to me and my husband if we hadn't separated.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Am i going to get more of a reply because I've been waiting 2 days now since i sent the extra info??

My apologies I have been unwell.

The fact that work that you and your husband paid for has increased the value of the property means that you and he have a claim on the proceeds of sale.

This would not mean that you and he are entitled to the full value - just that you are entitled to a monetary payment.

So far as remaining in the property is concerned you may in fact still be able to do so unless your ex in laws can prove they intend to sell the property

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is there any way other then going through a solicitor to find out who owns the property? obviously i will be going through a divorce with my husband, he has told me he had a seventh share in the house, with his parents having 3 shares each, how can i find out if this is true? Also i am questioning if he has shares in his parents house also? Would they find out if i looked into it? I don't have alot of money so if its something i can find out myself that would be helpful. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are looking to sell the house so obviously if my ex husband has shares in the house or his parents house this would be something I would be entitled to a share of in the divorce. I just wasn't sure how to go about finding out for sure. Thanks

You can find out who owns a property using the Land Registry website here

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately the property doesn't come up on there? Is there anything else i can do to find out. I know it is owned outright as it has been in their family for a number of years, it was my ex's grandads house originally. Thanks

Sadly if it is not Registered there is no easy way of checking the ownership

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Without actually asking my ex and his family, is this something a solicitor could find out. Im under the impression there is legal paperwork regarding the ownership because I've been told about the share split, but that's just taking their word for it and i want to know for definate with regards ***** ***** divorce, i don't want him hiding anything from me. I have checked with land registry and they say its defiantly unregistered, why would this be?