ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Divorce, Finances, Children, Domestic Violence, Care Proceedings
74916426

We fostered a boy from the age of three. He is now an adult

Customer Question

We fostered a boy from the age of three. He is now an adult and wishes he had been adopted. Can we adopt him now. He has been known by our surname since he came to us.
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

I must tell you that under current UK laws is not possible to adopt an adult. I appreciate that this is not what you wanted to hear but I do have to be honest with you and tell you the legal position. For an adoption in the UK then a Judge has to be satisfied that the child was under the age of 18 when the adoption application was made.

If the surname has not legally been changed then this can be achieved through a change of name deed. You can also make provision for him in your will.

I hope that this helps you.

kind regards

Caroline

Please kindly remember to rate positively by using the stars so that credit is received for helping you today.

Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 11 days ago.
Hello I note that this question remains unrated. Your feedback is important to me and I would be grateful if you could kindly rate my help by using the stars. If I can assist you any further then please do not hesitate to ask. kind regards Caroline