How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

The father of my children doesn't pay maintenance payments

Customer Question

The father of my children doesn't pay maintenance payments for his children, has never since the day they were born (age 3 - twins). Yet he claims he "doesn't work" - yet jets off on about 2-3 holidays a year, has a car, always going out. And had just had a car accident where he is going to get compensation for his "so called" injuries (yet I know he's rising them! But he will still get a payout.. I just know it! Always falls in his feet!
How do I go about getting payments from someone who clearly has money, but is not in the system as working or not working - because they obviously do other unsolicited things. And would my twins be entitled to any of this compensation too??
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

Hello for clarification - have you had the CSA involved?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello... no but because he doesn't have a "forwarding address" or a job, or declared as unemployed - I didn't think they would be able to do anything?! He gets all his bills etc sent to his mothers address but he doesn't live there..
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

You need to contact the Child Maintenance Service and they will carry out the necessary investigations including looking at how much income he declares the tax burden. If his lifestyle is inconsistent with his declared income, the revenue will investigate him in depth.

If he has a large amount of capital such as he won the lottery or he is a professional gambler or he has inherited lots of money and doesn’t need to work, you cannot claim Child Maintenance from anything other than income. It has to be income from work, you cannot take money from capital

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I’m happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.