How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34676
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

My son has parental responsibility for his son, however, mum

This answer was rated:

my son has parental responsibility for his son, however, mum is not involving him in decisions about school place and holidays. she has booked a 10 day holiday to Mexico, without dads involvement or permission, the holiday covers 4 days of my son's contact time with his son. my son suggested that he would take his child to Eurodisney for 4 days, however, mum has refused permission for this. when he does have contact she is calling and texting repeatedly, this upsets my grandson and if he doesn't answer she will start calling our family and driving around the area looking for them. she has sent a solicitors letter stating she will go to a judge to get permission to go on holiday and charge my son for the cost. my grandson is 4 years old live mainly with his mother, although he is with his father at least 3 days a week including overnight.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
apologies I realise I didn't ask a question - where does my son stand? he is considering as port alert if mum is not willing to agree to holidays.

Ok. On the basis that there is no court order in place then both parents have the same rights. The mother can not and should not remove the child without father's permission for the holiday. He can prevent this from happening by making an application to the court for a prohibited steps order. He may also wish to apply for a child arrangements order to manage who gets the child and when ; and for him to be allowed to take the child abroad. There is a fabulous book on sale on amazon which explains the process and to help I have attached the link - its about a tenner

Happy to discuss and please rate positive.

Hello I see that you have looked at the answer. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
hi thank you for that, there is no order at the moment, and I have ordered the book! I think we will be following your advice regarding a child arrangements order if nothing else it can prevent an escalation of tempers if all concerned are clear on arragements.

The book will help.