How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I separated from my wife on either 15th Jan or 25th Feb

This answer was rated:

I separated from my wife on either 15th Jan or 25th Feb (depending on if we count the day I said I wanted to split or the day I permanently moved out). We have a 20-month-old daughter and have agreed to an amicable arrangement for equal parenting and for finances.In the months that followed my new housemate and I have developed feelings for each other an embarked on a relationship, both sexually and emotionally. We are careful to only engage in this when my daughter is not in the house and my ex-wife does not yet know. I am also aware that my ex-wife is engaging in a sexual relationship of her own.A friend has warned me that I have put myself in a situation where, if discovered, it's very likely I will lose contact with my daughter and it's likely she will be put into care as we are both being adulterous. He says this as his parents had a similar situation in around 1985 where they were both angry about the affairs and made life difficult for each other. I have no intention making life difficult but am aware my ex-wife and be irrational and unfair when upset.How likely is such a situation and am I (specifically by carrying on an affair within the house my daughter stays at) putting myself in a risky situation regard contact?Thanks for your time.John

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

You are certainly not putting the child at risk of going into care

The fact that both parents are in new relationships whilst still married is certainly not a reason for Social Services being involved.

Of course if your ex becomes upset with your new relationship then she may make things difficult about the contact and where it takes place.

If that happens you will need to be patient and work through it 0 using family mediation if necessary

I hope that this is of assistanc e- please ask if you need further details

Clare and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you