How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Judge Question, I am now back. I have been contacted by the

This answer was rated:

Thomas Judge Question Hi Thomas, I am now back. I have been contacted by the Child Maintenance Service and I have said that my estranged wife has taken all the money and I can't afford to pay as she has left me with huge debts. What can I do ?

I am aware that you have asked for Thomas but the answer to this is straightforward.

Child Maintenance is assessed as a percentage of your gross income - the only thing that reduces it is

1. having the children for more than 52 nights a year

2. excessive costs of contact (think travelling over 200 miles)

3. proving that you are paying the mortgage in full.

That is it - I cant afford it is sadly not one of the options - even when you are paying off family debts

I will of course opt out for Thomas if you wish

Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No that’s great Clare