How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I own my property which is in my name and have been living

This answer was rated:

Hi I own my property which is in my name and have been living with my partner for 20 years we have two children. And he has two children from before we were together. I have a will for house and assets to go to my two children. How can I protect my home if my partner was to die from his older two children having any rights to my property or assets. Thanks

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

For clarity - you are worried about what will happen if he dies first

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
please confirm if my partner dies first that his eldest child from previous would be entitled to anything if he has lived in my property for 20 years. Is she classed as next of kin. Does he need a will or another legal document to protect me and my two children

If he dies before you then his child has no claim on your home.

However if there is no Will then his child will be the person entitled to arrange the funeral etc - so your partner may wish to consider making a Will to ensure that you will have a role in the arrangements

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you