How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35028
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now

I have a contact order with my ex husband to see the

This answer was rated:

I have a contact order with my ex husband to see the children. I have to travel a 180 mile round trip every third friday so that my elderly parents can facilitate handing the children across. I left my ex husband as a violent alcoholic but as he never hit the kids he was rebranded access and I have been running the children back and forth for 5 years. My daughter has a week of exams next week and I have asked my ex to let the children return to my parents to sleep overnight as live locally to him and he is refusing to facilitate this. My daughter has to wait up on saturday night until he and his new partner want go to be and she has to sleep on the sofa which she states is uncomfortable. My son hates going regardless as has to share a bed with one of his half brothers. Can i refused to take the children down if they refuse to go as there is a contact order in place. Ex is refusing as he enjoys having power over me a uses the children as his only means to do so.
How old are yhr children?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Children are 9 and 11
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can’t talk on phone right now just need to know if kids say they don’t want to go can i refuse to take them
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i am unsure if you are going to give me an answer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have replied several times with no answer

Thank you for your note but we go to sleep. When the children get older the court will listen more to their wishes and feelings. If the children are saying that they will not go then the older they are the more likely that the court will stop the contact going forward - this usually happens at the age of 12 or 13. Happy to discuss and please change the rating if you require further help.

Do you have further questions

There is another thing that would make a significant difference

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You have given me a ?

Very happy to discuss and explain further but please change the rating from negative so that I can do so

Thomas Judge and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

The fact that the children are refusing to go and he is acting like a jerk does allow you two options. The first is to say that he is in breach of the order and apply to the court for an enforcement order (form C79) or and this may be the better option you take the matter back to court to vary/suspend the present order (C100). I have attached to help you a link to a fabulous book on amazon for about a tenner which talks you through without a lawyer the court process -

Happy to discuss further