13262538

My husband walked out on me 4 months ago and now we are

My husband walked out on me 4 months ago and now we are supposed to be going to mediation on Monday but I don't know what to expect, I have a 17 yr old and a 18 yr old from a previous marriage and we had a child together and she is 3. I sold my house from my previous marriage and put £60k toward the new house together but am now afraid of being made homeless as I am only a trainee teacher and cannot afford the mortgage myself and don't want to loose my home.I am really struggling to cope with this and its affecting me sleeping and worrying how we will live.

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?

What other assets are there and what income do you each have?

how long have you lived together?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Morning Clare, there is around £100k equity once the mortgage is paid off we dont have any other real assets to talk of, I am a trainee teacher so my salary is £16.5k and he is an assistance head but I am unsure of his salary we have lived together for 3 years.

How much does a cheaper three bedroom property in the same school area cost to buy?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry Clare I cannot talk so would rather get this help over the phone
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't looked to be honest but i just need to know what to expect and what I should be asking for during the mediation as I have never done this before

I am so sorry about the site popups - I hate them!

The housing needs of the children of the family until they are 18 are the priority for the Family Court - and should be the priority in the negotiations as well.

This may mean that your husband will have to wait to get the property sold until your youngest is 18 or you cohabit - and may have to pay spouse and well as child maintenance for a while.

If the father of your older children does not pay maintenance then your husband will have to do so.

Stay strong in mediation and if you are not happy ay any stage ask for a break.

A good mediator will ensure that all goes well

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how does the mortgage get paid if I cannot afford to pay this in full? do I get to keep my initial investment of £60k from the proceeds if I do have to sell? the father of the older children doesn't pay anything and never has but they do need to live with me until they are ready to move out. I am just scared he will ask me to sell and I wont have anywhere to go..

Then your current husband will have to pay child maintenance for three children, and possibly spouse maintenance to you so that you can afford the mortgage

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks Clare