13262538

My dad gifted me and my sister a cheque each for £7000, as a

my dad gifted me and my sister a cheque each for £7000, as a thank you for helping him for 4years plus. my dad was in reasonable health,had capacity and signed to go to assisted living, about 3 weeks after this he had a fall, he got an infection in hospital and died. my sister and i cashed the cheques he had given to us prior to his death. my dad had no will. the rest of the estaste £9000, was to be shared between, me, my sister and our two brothers. (despite my dad leaving a handwritten note he wanted everything to go to me and my sister and for me to sort out his affairs as i saw fit) Our brothers have been told about the £7000 we were gifted each and are annoyed and now accusing me and my sister of taking advantage of dad and his £. during my dads life neither of my brothers visited our dad, (i spent more time in one week with dad than one of my brothers spent with him in 40 years) dad wanted to thank me and my sister for assisting him. all cheques etc were cashed by the bank and the bereavement service assisted with closing dads account.what do i do? my brothers are demanding bank statements, etc. should i just send a final balance. i have sought legal advice and they have said i have acted appropriately. but without sending my brother something, I am worried that my brother will say we were not entitled to the cheques or forged them in some way? do i have anything to worry about? from a legal point of view can he pursue this?

My name is Clare and I am sorry for your loss

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

have you dealt with all the debts of the estate and are you ready to distribute the rest?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
all the overpaid pension bills etc have come out an
d the two cheques to me and my sister for £7000 each. yes that is the position i am in now he died in december s
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the £9000 that is left is ready to be distrabuted

Prepare a set of simple accounts and forward them with the monies.

If your brother decides to try and challenge this then he will have to find evidence of you having taken advantage of your father - and given what you say about the relationship you had with your father then there can be no question of that.

Stay calm and carry out the final distribution

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details