Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Family Lawyer
Experience:  Over twenty-five years experience
27487359

My boyfriend and ex are going through divorce. She is

My boyfriend and ex are going through divorce. She is divorcing him and wants to claim this is on the grounds of adultery. She has threatened to take him to court if he doesn’t sign the papers. Can you tell me what the implications are if he just signs it to get it out the way versus refusing to sign and requesting divorce in the grounds of unreasonable behaviour?
The real key is for speed with which it takes for the divorce to go through. If he is happy to get divorced by signing the papers or agreeing the grounds then the divorce should be able to go through quite quickly. If there is a contest it can take many months and be more expensive. Happy to discuss and please rate positive
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are there any implications on how finances are split depending on the grounds?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is a financial order being completed. Can you tell me if solicitor costs and court fees are split 50/50 or if she absorbs the solicitor fees?
There are no implications on
Finances or the financial split on the grounds for divorce.
The costs would normally be split but ultimately this is a matter for the court. Please rate positive
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has a solicitor working on her behalf. Does the solicitor have an impact on the court’s decision?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have a Joint loan. She is asking that he pays all of this, which he can not afford. Can she demand that he pays it all before it all goes through the courts?

It is always better to have a solicitor as they understand the law. She can not demand he pays all of the joint loan. IT is joint so they would pay 50-50. Please can you rate 4 or 5 stars for my time. Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I rated you 5 stars, but I can’t see where I can rate your response for a second time? I can write a review??
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have more questions, so I assume I can continue to ask?It’s another financial question: she is also threatening to sue him for spending money on their joint account that she claims she knew nothing about. How much does it cost to sue someone and what are the steps involved?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I’m trying to figure out if this is another threat or if this a financially viable option for her

It depends on the sums involved - have a lot at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. Given the circumstances it would be wise to have a legally binding document to separate mine and his finances. Does such a thing exist?

I can and solicitor can draft this

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You are able to offer this service?

not allowed to but a local solicitor can help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ah, okay I’ll look into the costs involved. Would you suggest I do this sooner rather than later?

yes. Makes sense

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Great.
So the documents for the financial order is my next thing. His assets are minimal, I.e he has a vehicle that he uses to get to work, he isn’t a home owner and no mortgage, no pension, no life insurance. Bearing in mind that she is wanting to get what she can, is it likely that a court would rule that he needs to sell his vehicle or give it to her as part of the settlement? Logic says that would be unhelpful because if he cannot work, then he cannot pay maintenance for the two children. However, this is a source of cash for her that she could live on in place of maintenance for a period of time, so I think she would do that.
All the furniture, tv, general household items, he has left for her and the boys, plus she has a vehicle of her own.
I realise it is probably not easy to answer, but I’m trying to get a feel for what may happen.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just chasing your response in the above question. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, I do need to ask more questions . Let me know if I need to switch to a different person. Thank you
Ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I’ll switch

Depending on the length of the marriage the court would look to split the assets form a starting point of 50-50